So here I am, with a fresh Xubuntu install, with only gdm installed on top of the xubuntu-desktop package.
I shall journal my steps for posterity's sake (and for those who want to tread this dangerous path called Linux. :D )
- Visit AY Siu's site for installation instructions. Print. (I used the "Install XFCE" tutorial.)
- Pledge to use aptitude forevermore, unless applications aren't in the repositories.
- Install gdm for a graphical log-in.
- Get Swiftfox, the lean mean and beta version of Firefox 2. (tutorial)
- Get new kernel. (sudo aptitude install linux-686 from poofyhairyguy)
- Tweak ext3 partition. (tutorial)
- Try out fluxbox and icewm. (If you like your GUI, don't. If you don't mind seeing all text in your menus, then by all means, go ahead.)
- Install recommended Ubuntu Essentials. (Collect and select packages.) I used:
- gaim-guifications gaim-extendedprefs
- easyubuntu (I had to reinstall the Xubuntu since this screwed up the cleanliness of my disk.)
- vlc and mplayer
- Look for more optimization techniques.
(to be continued...)